Dedicated in 1948, the Southwest Virginia Museum in Big Stone Gap chronicles the exploration and development of the Virginia coal region. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the museum is housed in an 1890s Victorian stone mansion with an original oak interior.
The museum’s collection includes more than 60,000 pieces and state-of-the-art exhibits portraying the exploration and development of the region from the 1700s pioneer era to the mining “boom and bust” era of the late 1800s. The museum’s collection was started by C.B. Slemp, who served in Congress from 1907 to 1923 and was President Coolidge’s personal secretary.
The four-story mansion features a lovely Victorian parlor available for meetings and small gatherings. The quaint Poplar Hill Cottage is available for overnight accommodations.
Throughout the year, the museum holds weekly classes and other special events including “A Stitch in Time: Quilt Show, April through May; Fall Antique Appraisal; and Festival of Trees, mid-November through December 31.
Located at the corner of West First Street North and Wood Avenue, Big Stone Gap.
Hours: Tues.-Fri., 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sat., 10 a.m-5 p.m.; Sun., 1-5 p.m.
From Memorial Day through Labor Day, the park is also open Mon., 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Closed January and February and Thanksgiving and Christmas Days.
Telephone: (276) 523-1322